Welcome

Mark Williamson
Welcome to the Kelt sailboat forum.  I bought a Kelt 7.60 in June of 2009.  She's got wheel steering (added on), a 9hp outboard, 2.5' draft with a swing keel (driven by an electric winch).  She runs about 5.5 knots under power and we've gotten her up to over six knots under sail.  Great sailboat.  Currently based in Ingram Bay on the Chesapeake Bay just below the Potomac.

I created this website mainly so that Kelt owners could exchange information.  Feel free to use it for anything Kelt related.

- Mark

Re: Welcome

ron king
Mark,
Found your site. I was on the other forum looking for info on the mast boom gooseneck connection. I noticed you have a brochure on the site but there doesn't seem to be anything attached. I don't have one and think if I can find the mast manufacturer I may have more luck replacing it. I sail out of Bluffers Park in Toronto and have had the Kelter up over 7 knots, amazing boat.
Appreciate any help on this.
Thanks,
Ron

Re: Welcome

Mark Williamson
Administrator
Hey Ron, good to hear from you.  Seems like i saw a list of manufacturers for Kelt parts somewhere...  Maybe it was for another boat....  I'll see if I can find it.

Here's a link to the Kelt brochure:  http://www.msogphotosite.com/MSOG/pdfpage/kelt760.pdf

Regards,
Mark

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:44 PM, ron king [via Kelt Sailboat Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mark,
Found your site. I was on the other forum looking for info on the mast boom gooseneck connection. I noticed you have a brochure on the site but there doesn't seem to be anything attached. I don't have one and think if I can find the mast manufacturer I may have more luck replacing it. I sail out of Bluffers Park in Toronto and have had the Kelter up over 7 knots, amazing boat.
Appreciate any help on this.
Thanks,
Ron

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Welcome-tp3990444p4020081.html
To unsubscribe from Welcome, click here.

Re: Welcome

Mark Williamson
I was checking on the boat the other night and thought to check my mast for the manufacturers label.  Unfortunately I got side-tracked and didn't write down the name.  It was French made and, I believe, the manufacturer's name began with "Iso".  I'll check again next time I get out there....

Re: Mast manufacturer

Michel Mertens
Hi!

You must have one of the original mast-and-boom arrangements.  It is indeed French, made by ISOMAT check this website: rigrite.com for replacement parts.
I have had my 1984 7.6 since 2003, and still going fast! I'm based in Parry Sound, Ontario, on lake Huron's Georgian Bay.

Happy sailing!

Michel

Re: Mast manufacturer

ron king
Michel,
Thanks for the information, i will try them and see what they recommend. Do you have the same fitting with the hoop and split ball connection? The problem is that the hoop is wearing thin and cracking and looks as though it may not make the next season. All info is appreciated.
Regards,
Ron

Re: Welcome

Fred Phillips-Patrick
Mark,

Glad to see another Kelt on the Chesapeake.  Our homeport is Cambridge, on the Choptank.  Our sailboat is a '83 7.6 model, still going strong.  I found the article on iron keels interesting, as that's likely to be the next project on our list.

Fred

Re: Welcome

Mark Williamson
Administrator
Hey Fred,
We sailed to Tangier last year and the guy at the marina said he's seen our boat before.  But it wasn't us.  Maybe you or possibly there's yet a third Kelt in the area?  Sure will be nice when all this snow melts and we can get back to sailing again.
Mark

Re: Welcome

Fred Phillips-Patrick
Maybe the previous owner made it to Tangier.  I'm still getting my feet wet (unfortunate metaphor).  Maybe this spring ...

Re: Welcome

Bill Martheleur
Hi

I am a new Kelt 7.6 owner and live in Sydney, Nove Scotia.  We bought our boat in September and are looking forward to sailing as soon as the winter (which has been very mild) leaves us.  I notice that in the photos section you have a Kelt with a retrofitted wheel and wonder how difficult it would be to make the transition from a tiller.  Currently we have a honda 9.9 for power. We are in the process of upgrading teh upholsery and have just ordered a custome dodger.

Interested in hearing from other Kelt owners.

Bill

Re: Welcome

Mark Williamson
Administrator
Good to hear from you Bill.  i bet that's a beautiful place to sail.

A previous owner did the wheel-install on my boat.  It's an Edson system and it's connected to the rudder via a single push/pull cable (not sure what they call it but just took a look at their website and it may be called "pull-pull conduit").  A single cable/conduit runs beneath the deck, into the port storage area, to a mechanism in the transom which attaches to the rudder via a rod.  The pedestal has forward/reverse and throttle which is nice.  The outboard is fixed.  Since my outboard is offset from the rudder it doesn't steer well if the boat isn't moving or is moving slowly (since I don't direct my prop blast past the rudder).  This took a little getting used to.

I will try to get some pictures and part numbers at some point.  If you install one be sure to measure carefully so the wheel doesn't interfere with the opening of the seat lockers.

Regards,
Mark

RE: Welcome

Bill Martheleur

Mark

Thanks for the  welcome. We are located in Sydney which has several yacht clubs.  Sydney Harbour opens into the Atlantic and from there it is a short run along the coast to the mouth of the Bras D’Or Lakes.  I was dubious about taking the Kelt into the ocean however the more that I read, the more confidence I get that she will do well in coastal cruising.  Hopefully I am right about this.  This is our first boat and having just acquired it in September we didn’t have a lot of time to sail during the fall.  The winds in the area get somewhat gusty from the northwest during the fall.

I am sure that I will have plenty of questions

Regards

Bill

[...]

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Welcome-tp3990444p4593969.html
To unsubscribe from Re: Welcome, click here.

Re: Welcome

Mark Williamson
I uploaded photos of the wheel steering on my Kelt 7.60 (and, for a previous poster, the boom attachment which seems to have been changed at some point).  There are actually two "conduits" from the pedestal to the steering mechanism.  It looks like there was once a fuel tank beneath the port seat so if you've still got one of those then it may be a tricky install.

As for windy sailing I don't think we've been sailing in anything over 15 mph (guessing).  We tried to motor into the Chesapeake Bay from a river once - trying to get out of the Piankatank and into the Rappahannock.  There was a small craft warning and the wind was probably peaking around 30 mph.  Had to turn back because it was just too choppy for us novices.  Deeper water and longer swells might have made it easier to deal with.  I also had a little trouble maneuvering with the outboard - not quite enough power (8hp) and it prop coming out of the water.  I've got the swing keel - the fixed keel is probably more stable.  Wish I could give actual wind speeds.  I did pick up a handheld wind-meter so in the future I can log that info.

Re: Welcome

Ben Hagar- s/v Cadeau
Glad to find this forum, and appreciate the effort in hosting such an endeavor.

I have a Kelt 7.60 at Herrington Harbor North; last year was our first year sailing it on the Chesapeake (boat was brought down from Lake Champlain in late 2008.

I would be very interested in seeing how your centerboard winch is rigged.

Ben

Re: Welcome

Ben Hagar- s/v Cadeau
Saw your post on the Kelt Sailboat Forum.

We sail an '82 7.60 out of Herrington Harbor North; I understand that there is a guy in HH South as well.

Just started sailing here last summer- had no idea there were this many Kelts on the Bay.

Ben

Re: Welcome

Mark Williamson
Good to hear from you Ben.  I'll get some photos of the centerboard winch setup and post them to the site.  The winch motor and drum are behind the companionway steps and there is a pulley system in the bilge.  There are two up/down switches - one on the electrical panel and another in the cockpit.  It is strung with some kind of synthetic line (not a steel cable).  Works very well.  I would imagine it could be done without the pulley's in the bilge.  Maybe the reasoning behind that will come to light when I look at it again.
Mark

Re: Welcome

Ben Hagar- s/v Cadeau
I believe that the blocks in the bilge are stock, and provide mechanical advantage for the line which runs up into the cockpit by which the board is raised.

I am curious how you can tell the position of the board (ie., all the way up, all the way down, or in between).  Also, does the winch itself hold the board in the up position, or is there some other locking mechanism once it has been wound up?

Thanks,

Ben

Re: Welcome

Mark Williamson
Administrator
The cable from the keel board runs up the "leg" of the table and someone has painted a line on the cable and several lines on the "leg".  So if I crane my neck from the cockpit I can just see approximately where the up and down positions are.  Not sure how the winch locks itself.  I assume it has to do with the winch gearing coupled with the pulley system.  I'll get a photo of the winch and manufacturer info next time I'm out there.

Another thing I have which other Kelts don't seem to come with is a bilge pump.  The pump is beneath the galley sink.  There is an automatic switch in the forward part of the bilge (the only part of the bilge deep enough to accommodate it).

Re: Welcome

Mark Williamson
I've added a photo of the winch to the photos section.  It's a Superwinch T1500 (needs a little cleaning up).  It appears that they removed the steel cable and wound it with nylon or polyester line (which runs through the pulley system).

Re: Welcome

Narayan
Hey Ron,
I just snapped my boom gooseneck on my Kelt 7.6 last week - any luck finding a replacement? If so, can you please share where would were able to locate one? Cinkel - the company that used to make them is no longer in business
12