motors and wells

joel
Just sold my Yamaha 9.9 hi-thrust, living on the West Coast it just drove me crazy not being able to leave it out of the salt water.  Never mind if I had a prop problem while away on a long cruise, the corrosion issues were worrisome enough. I use Micron CSC, so will be good for 2 years without hauling for hull paint, so I wanted to deal with the motor issue. I know It's possible to get the prop off in the water, or tie my dinghy alongside and steer with tiller in an emergency, but WTF?  An outboard should be removable, besides which at 100 pounds plus it's out of my comfort range to handle.  So I sold it and bought an almost new Tohatsu 6hp SailPro which weighs 59 pounds, 27" Ultra long shaft ( Long would have been fine), also has a 5 amp charging system_ and CAN BE PULLED OUT BY ME AND STORED IN THE PORT LOCKER WOO HOO, for security  or if I need that extra fraction of a knot when somebody is beating me who I think shouldn't.  Love this motor, had a Tohatsu 3.5 years ago on a dinghy in our big boat, and was the best motor I've ever owned. Made by Nissan who also make small engines for Merc, apparently. Just for the record, I took the Yamaha off in the yard at haul-out and motored 10 miles back to home port with my little Honda 2hp 17" shaft in the well.  Did 3.2 at about 2/3 throttle and 4 knots wide open when I ran it there for a few minutes. I know, I know, flat calm, slack tide, I'm just saying. If there was wind I would have sailed.
       This motor supposedly has a hi-thrust prop, at any rate moves me nicely along at hull speed at about half throttle and supplies around 3.5 amps.  Presumably would get more amps at higher revs. Shifter in front, lots of room aft of engine to transom, only just fits under seat, but fits.  No negatives I can see.

Re: motors and wells

Matt Lorenzi
Old post, but glad I found this. I'm looking at a local Kelt - I'm also on the West Coast. I like the idea of taking the motor out after a day's sailing. The current owner leaves the engine in all season then take out to have it serviced over winter. I like the idea of a 60lb engine as well!

Re: motors and wells

shday
Hi, I also have a Kelt 760 with a Tohatsu 6hp SailPro (long shaft) in the motor well. I bought it to replace the original Honda 10hp (1985). The Honda was actually running pretty well and might be more quiet than the Tohatsu, but it was really heavy.

I can pretty much verify everything the OP said about the motor. It works quite well and is very easy to start... just make sure not to flood it. Here are a few other things I've found:

* I needed to cut a notch in the hull in order to lock the shaft in the most vertical position. This may not be needed for you, depending on your boat.

* You need to set the gear in reverse while sailing. It isn't good for the foot to let it free-wheel in neutral, and the motor will ride-up and touch the seat if you leave it in forward (at around 4 knots).

* You'll need a steering lock kit as the friction nut isn't designed for that purpose.
** https://www.tohatsu.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=111360
** I got mine online here (Canada): https://www.bridgeyachts.com/

Cheers and good luck!

Steve

Re: motors and wells

Matt Lorenzi
Hi Steve,
Thanks so much for the valuable feedback. Current owner has a 9.9HP Yamaha which will likely do fine for starting out. I hope to go out and view the boat soon. I'm glad to have found this forum - and to find it is very much active!
Matt

Re: motors and wells

Matt Lorenzi
Damn, it got away!

Re: motors and wells

Glenn Thomson
I recently bought a Kelt 7.6, here on West Coast,  moved it today into False Creek from Horseshoe Bay.  The F9.9 long shaft (20") seems it might be short to me, because it aerates, draws air from surface and not get full propulsion.  The motor is brand new F9.9 about 80 lbs.  just fits in well and in fact I think well will have to be cut out at back.....I hope I can somehow lower the engine a little deeper into well to grab more water....so slow! otherwise.  And really shakes the rudder side to side.  Does anyone else feel the same and be bothered by the rudder wiggle while motoring.  I don't have anything to compare it to.
Real happy to see this post subject be resurrected for 2020

Re: motors and wells

shday
I've never noticed the rudder shaking while motoring. I also haven't found a need to lower the motor due to aeration (I have a 20 inch shaft also). Is your motor hanging vertically? I had to cut a notch in the hull to allow that. It's the white area in the photo.

Tohatsu Sail Pro 6 HP

Re: motors and wells

Glenn Thomson
I appreciate your reply. That is quite possible what is happening....engine cowling rubs on aft end of well also, so it may be need modifying at both ends....and come to think of it the motor was  not locked in to place either.
I plan to get it out of the water as soon as possible.  Was the hull cut out difficult to repair after cut, re-fiberglass?
Is that a merc engine what prop pitch are you running?

Re: motors and wells

Glenn Thomson
Oh ya I see it was you with Tohatsu. Sorry.  I had one on a Sirius 22, compared to a yamaha .9 I had earlier the vibration was too much and I was frustrated with no engine lock out....but I liked the light weight.

Re: motors and wells

shday
Yeah, it's a Tohatsu. As far as I know, they also make Mercury engines under ~ 20 HP. They aren't as smooth running compared to Yamaha or Honda (i.e., more vibration) , but I'm otherwise happy so far. Starts very easily.

To repair the hull, I just used a two part marine epoxy (Lepage). I think it's sold at Home Depot. It held up well last summer, though I may put another coat now. Notice that the hull is very thick in that area... I went through 3 jigsaw blades.

Re: motors and wells

Glenn Thomson
I'll know when I get it out of the water in couple weeks if the leg hits forward groove.
How much did you have to cut out? Inch? or more?

Re: motors and wells

shday
I cut out about an inch, but probably needed a 1/2 inch or less. Ideally, mount your motor on a flat surface somewhere and measure the clearance.

Better to not cut more than you have to - the hull is thick in that area! And you'll have more to repair.

Edit: You may even get away with just removing some material with an angle grinder.

Re: motors and wells

Glenn Thomson
Now that I got motor mounted straight and tight, there is adequate clearance for cowling and the leg. Thank God.  I was in a hurry and didn't check things thoroughly.  Thanks for your input shday.

Re: motors and wells

Glenn Thomson
OK.  Got the Yamaha F9.9 20" shaft motor, with 8 1/2 inch x 6 1/2 pitch, properly mounted into well on my 7.6 Kelt.  The boat bottom has 3 years of growth on it.  But I feel like there is too much ventilation happening at any RPM. High revs don't give boat any more speed, thrust is poor.
If there weren't so many other 7.6 Kelts out there with 20" shaft motors I would say the shaft is too short.....now what??
What pitch are other owners using, is pitch the problem, 8 1/2 is what the motor came with, past owner changed it not sure why?

Re: motors and wells

Mark Williamson
Administrator
Are you sure the prop isn't slipping on the shaft?  You may know this but for those who don't there is a rubber bushing in props that absorbs shock and protects the engine and transmission.  When this fails it's sometimes called a spun prop.  Mine failed a few years ago and the best option was to replace the prop.  Can't recall all the symptoms but it would move but not fast.  Can't recall it over revving.

I have an 8hp with 11 3/4 x 5 3/4.  Mounted on the stern.