kelt 29 rudder stock shoe lost

max

kelt 29 rudder stock shoe lost

max
I have a lift keel kelt 29 lying N.Wales in the UK. I have lost the cast iron shoe from the bottom of the rudder stock and need to get one made. Has any body got a kelt 29 laid up for the winter where I can see to measure, photograph and possibly make a mold from, so I can get a new shoe cast for next summer.

regards max

Re: kelt 29 rudder stock shoe lost

Ian Scott
In saying you have lost the shoe from your rudder stock I take it you mean the piece of metal which is bolted onto the skeg and protrudes aft under the rudder to take the weight of the dried out boat If so I had the same problem on my Kelt 8.50 and I discovered it while antifouling only four weeks before lifting in.The boat was on the sailing club car park with about 5 inches between the bottom of the skeg and the ground which obviously I could not dig out.The piece was held on by a single bolt the head of which fitted into a recess on the bottom of the shoe which was prevented from turning by having a fore and aft "key" which fitted into a fore and aft recess cast into the bottom of the skeg. If I recollect correctly the bolt was 14mm. The main difficulty was cleaning out the bolt hole as it was full of packed mud which had dried over winter. I made a wooden pattern which I took to a local steel fabricator who welded it up from 8mm flat bar, grinding a v in between each piece so as to get good welds which could be ground flat.The whole piece was then drilled for the bolt and the recess for the head of the bolt also drilled.The "key" was then welded on. Because of time constraints the shoe was made up with flat sides and square ends and not shaped into the aerofoil shape of the skeg. The front and back ends were chamfered off. Originally I thought the bolt was 12mm and was screwing it in so I could adjust its length to fit the wooden pattern when it suddenly stripped the thread it had cut in the dried mud.You probably have realized there is no thrust bearing on the rudder stock so without the shoe when the boat dries out the rudder is pressed up onto the bottom of the boat contact me if possible Ian

Re: kelt 29 rudder stock shoe lost

Ian Scott
Hi Max
I ran out of space before saying the boat is in Cornwall U.K. near Plymouth
Regards
Ian
max

Re: kelt 29 rudder stock shoe lost

max
Hi Ian

 I see that you have had the same problem. Thanks for taking the time to explain how you solved it. I found that the bolt was still in the bottom, so the cast iron shoe must have cracked off. I have taken the bolt out as it was bent from bashing on the sand. I plan to carve a new shoe out of foam and have a new one cast at the Ironbridge museum. Can you remember how thick or long the shoe was? I am guessing at 50mm thick and 300mm long. Casting the hole and recess for the bolt may be the hard part. if the cast iron idea does not work then I will follow your advise on welding layers of steel. How has your new shoe held up, has it protected the rudder ok?

regards

Max

Re: kelt 29 rudder stock shoe lost

Ian Scott
Hi Max,
The piece I had made up was 50mm (the maximum width of the skeg) wide x40mm deep x 225mm long with only the rear end chamfered (I have found the wooden plug I made) The shoe has worked well for 2 years. I dry out on about one foot of soft mud with very hard mud under that so the boat dries upright and level fore and aft.Consider making the shoe as I did in layers as steel is more resilient and less brittle than cast iron as you have discovered.The reason the shoe was made in layers is that the fabricator would have had to buy in about a 10ft length of 50x50 mm steel.......expense. the job cost £40 cash. From photos I have I guessed the dimensions.If you increase the length I feel there is a risk that if there is a swell when the boat pounds when drying a casting could crack as yours did or if the shoe did not snap the cast skeg could. Making a plug for casting I think would be difficult as the 16mm hole for the bolt goes through  the 20mm key and also you would have to make a core box to cast a plug of sand to form the bolt hole and recess for the head.If you have time which I didn't bolt the layers together with thin light bolts, grind the block to shape,separate the layers to grind the v's between them,re-assemble, weld, drill the bolt hole and recess,weld on the key,remove the bolts holding the layers together, weld up the holes and grind the welds smooth.I don't want to put phone number or e-mail address out in the open but if you can find a way to contact me I will be pleased to speak to you Hope it goes well. Regards Ian

Re: kelt 29 rudder stock shoe lost

Jonathan
Hi Ian

I have the same problem with a rudder shoe i would be grateful for the wooden plug, which i will pay for postage naturally, and return to you.  If possible!!

Could we talk?

Kind regards

Jonathan
07831 806867