Shroud - sheets getting caught

JJJ

Shroud - sheets getting caught

JJJ
Our sheets randomly get caught at the bottom of the shrouds.  Does anyone have a quick/simple fix that has worked for them?

John

Re: Shroud - sheets getting caught

Mark Williamson
Administrator
I've got turnbuckle boots on mine (installed by previous owner).  My sheets still hang on them occasionally but usually release with a little tug.

http://www.westmarine.com/davis-instruments--turnbuckle-boots--P002_065_007_503
JJJ

Re: Shroud - sheets getting caught

JJJ
Thanks Mark. We have bottom shroud covers but they don't go over the turnbuckles so I'll have to find the bigger boots you have.

Re: Shroud - sheets getting caught

David - Moon Chaser
Hi there John! - I've had the same problem.  Mine get caught under the "U" where the pin goes through (I'm sure there is a real name for this part).  So I have tapped (with a small hammer) the "U" inward so it is tight against the shroud mounting bracket (again - technical term?), then rigging taped it enough to give it a smooth transition.  Seems to work fine now for several seasons.  Just takes about $1.00 worth of tape each year.  Good luck - David

Re: Shroud - sheets getting caught

David - Moon Chaser
Hi again! - I just noticed there were other responses (slow load).  FYI:  I do have the shroud/turnbuckle cover tubes as well.  But they simply lift up when the sheet finds itself at the bottom, on deck, and I still have the problem (before tapping and taping as described above in my previous post). - David
JJJ

Re: Shroud - sheets getting caught

JJJ
Thanks for your input Dave! I've tried extending my current shroud cover by cutting a small piece of plastic pipe in half length wise, place it on the outside part of the shroud (where the sheet slides), pushing it down touching the deck and then taping it around the shroud.......but over time it still worked it's way up and the sheets got caught again :(  Maybe we'll have to design and market something ourselves!

RE: Shroud - sheets getting caught

David - Moon Chaser

NP! – LOL.  If we could design it for more boats than our beloved Kelt 7.60s then we may be going somewhere, eh [smile]

I did see in the previous issue of “Good Old Boat” magazine (which I very highly recommend subscribing to, BTW), a turnbuckle cover for the forward lifeline where the boat owner created a slot in a piece of PVC tube to further cover the turnbuckle better and not have to rigging tape it every year in order to protect his head sail.  If I could resurrect that and think about it in relation to our outer shroud connections problem maybe it will give us another idea.  Though it sounds like that is in essence what you did.  I’ll give it a look.  That being said, with the 5 minutes and $1 of tape I use each year, I have not had the problem again.  Nonetheless, something a little classier than that would be nice, eh! [smile, again] - David

David J. Wysocki, M.Sc., OT Reg. (Ont.)

950 Mink St

Pickering, ON  L1W 2G5

Ph:  905-492-1915

Fax:  905-492-2755

[hidden email]

RE: Shroud - sheets getting caught

JJJ
For next year, if we solve our problem functionally and aesthetically, we'll have to post some pics.  For now it's tarp the boat and find the skis :)  Until next time!

Re: Shroud - sheets getting caught

Ryan
Hi There JJJ - Nice boat!  Tacking technique was the ticket for me to avoid this.  Try releasing the sheet for your head sail a little later than you are currently.  This will help "fly" the sheet out away from the shrouds and avoid this problem.  If that didn't work, then just use some rigging tape to smooth out the area and you won't have any issues.  Now if you can figure out how to avoid the same problem with the sheets getting caught in the forward hatch when you have it open you'll be set.  Ryan
JJJ

Re: Shroud - sheets getting caught

JJJ
Thanks Ryan.  This boat was new to us this year and we have really enjoyed sailing it!  I find that the sheet can get quite stuck at times and the biggest problem is when you do some adjustments to the foresail on the same tack.  I have tried tape and even used some plastic to extend the existing boots with no luck. I'm hoping to find some larger boots next summer so that the turnbuckles are covered right down to the bracket/deck.  A few more months dv :))