Hatch Slide Cover

Ryan
Do other Kelt 7.6 owners have a strip of plastic under the handrail like shown in the picture?  Just wondering if this is the original setup or something the previous owner did at a previous point. The plastic under my handrail is falling apart so I'm wondering if I even need it.

Re: Hatch Slide Cover

Glenn Thomson
Going through the same thing right now Ryan. I found 3 pieces of plastic strips/shims under my slider, dried cracked and broken.
I am repairing one side at a time. I bought a scrap piece of 1/8" polymer from my local plastic shop. Cut 1 5/8" width strips on my table saw (use a high tooth count blade). The sheet was only 4' in length so I am butting 2 pieces 1 5/8" wide together to make up the 62" or so length.  Not sure how I will seal yet, maybe countersink the holes and butyl tape.

I wondered too, if it was a factory shim job.  Maybe now we know?

i thought about leaving out the shims and lay down a layer of butyl tape but I just didn't want to find out that there wasn't enough tolerance for slider to move smoothly.

I am also having to re-gelcoat under hatch where it rubbed on deck....it never has been very smooth sliding open.

I'll try to remember to shoot some pics when I reassemble.

Glenn 1982 7.6

Re: Hatch Slide Cover

Mark Williamson
I think there are one or two other threads on this.  I removed a wood strip the previous owner had installed and replaced it with a 3/16" rubber seal (self adhesive RV/automotive seal).  It's probably thicker than needed but it's held up and hasn't leaked in five or more years.

Re: Hatch Slide Cover

Ryan
Good to know it's how other boats were constructed. I had the same plan to get some 1/8 HDPE and cut strips. I also bought some specialized Teflon tape with acrylic adhesive to lay down under the slider. Hopefully it'll make it slide better.

I think the rubbing and squeaking is due to the slide cover becoming mis-shaped over time. Kidda hard to fix that.

Re: Hatch Slide Cover

Glenn Thomson
Hey Ryan, how did that teflon tape idea work on the slider?

Re: Hatch Slide Cover

Pkeane49
I have a 1982 swing-keel version of the Kelt 7.6 and mine has those plastic strips you describe.  They have been breaking off in pieces since I bought the boat in 2016.  I haven't looked that hard, but could not readily find a suitable replacement.  This job is a bit low on my priority list, but I'll get to it eventually.

Re: Hatch Slide Cover

Ryan
Worked like a charm. I highly recommend the Teflon tape. I finished this job last summer and ended up doing the same as you. I cut strips of hdpe, refinished the surface, and added the Teflon tape. You can't leave nothing under the handrail, it won't slide.

Re: Hatch Slide Cover

Glenn Thomson
Good to know about the tape idea. I'll be doing that.  Whats the brand of teflon tape you used?  I see there are self adhesive types....

Re: Hatch Slide Cover

Ryan

Re: Hatch Slide Cover

Glenn Thomson
Thanks Ryan!
Did you apply tape to the deck or on under side of slider...or both?

Re: Hatch Slide Cover

Ryan
I applied it just to the deck.