Buying guidance for Kelt 7.60

brooksde
I am considering purchasing a 1986 Kelt 7.60 25' that looks to be in great shape. It has a 2013 Yamaha 9.9HP. I am a new sailor transitioning from power to sail and would like to guidance on anything in particular to look for on this size/model.

Re: Buying guidance for Kelt 7.60

Mark Williamson
Administrator
If it's got a lifting keel plate then check the post beneath the table for corrosion.  This post houses a cable and a pulley or two and is below the waterline.  Other than that it should be all the usual stuff.  You shouldn't have to worry about soft spots in the deck.

Re: Buying guidance for Kelt 7.60

brooksde
The cable is frayed so that will need to be replaced. I'll look into this further. This is good info, thank you. Right now I'm worried about finding parts for a Kelt. Nobody has heard of them.

Sent from my iPad

Re: Buying guidance for Kelt 7.60

Mark Williamson
Administrator
I haven't used my swing keel for maybe 7 years.  Next time it's out of the water I will probably remove it and cap off the lift tube.  Will probably remove the table also since that's in the way more than it's used.

The boom parts may be difficult to find.  There have been a few people who have posted here looking for parts but they never reported back on finding them.

Re: Buying guidance for Kelt 7.60

David
You've described my boat except it is an '83. Iron keel needed to be ground down and properly sealed. Have used a self polishing anti-fouling ever since with no build-up.
I removed the old engine and retrofitted with a Yamaha 9.9. Make sure that the stern was reinforced with fibreglass before the O/B was fitted. There is some flex. Haven't actually seen one with a motor well, so if yours will be so equipped all the better.
Have had no problems with the deck, but the stanchions and bow pulpit were a little troublesome with the "bolt through" toe rail arrangement. Make sure you can source a good welder in case of repairs to the bolts.
I echo the comments about the boom and parts. Difficult to source parts without full replacement.
I'm guessing mine would fetch 12,500 CDN on the market right now, but my wife and I enjoy it so much we can't bear to think about moving on.