propane tank hold

Glenn Thomson
Has anyone done any upgrade to the portside aft hold for the propane tank?  I bought a tall version 5 pound tank that fits into that space, but I think it would be a short time before the tank will corrode and be useless.  I am also paying attention to Transport Canada requirements as to how to double stage regulate the tank and run supply line to stove in galley.   Actually, I am waiting for a used origo alcohol stove to show up on Craigs.....then I'd do away with propane.

Re: propane tank hold

Ryan
I installed a propane system last summer for use with our new stove. My system uses a regulator at the tank and an electric solenoid. I also have a 5lbs tank. It fits but not great. Also, it's already started to rust. I'm planning on rebuilding that whole locker to fit today's North American standard 5lbs tank.  Part of the design will include a removable panel which will hopefully provide some protection.

Re: propane tank hold

Glenn Thomson
Good idea Ryan.......I think we have similar thoughts.
 I have a 5 lb that is not the fat stubby model, it fits well inside the locker. I In Canada propane use on a vessel requires a 2 stage regulator (of course that takes up more room) and a fuel gauge - to determine if you are leaking fuel over time. I thought I would try and mount reg. to back side of locker not direct to tank.  Then, it has to be a continuous fuel line to the galley connection with sealed connectors through bulkheads, so not to contaminate any other locker or the cabin.  My Kelt came with a solenoid switch on the cabinet in front of stove and it is wired into breaker panel.

Back to my idea.  I would be sure that the locker can ventilate properly to outside, at lowest point.  And to protect the tank from rapid corrosion I thought of installing a sliding door at the from of the existing opening that slides up.  I think adding 2 rails (stainless or aluminum) to each side and a fibreglass or plastic door to slide in place might work.  Then you have access to the tank at anytime to turn it off at the valve. ( I checked the measurement in relation to the outboard in place.  I think I read an idea of sealing off the from hole to locker and adding a top screw down - round hatch to gain access too.  That is more work, and involves a cutout to the aft end of bench which would not look great or be comfortable to sit on top of, but an alternative.  I need to figure out how to get a decent seal on the slider door - keeping water out but having easy access to hosing out the locker each trip.

Another idea would be to build a sealed box for inside the port hand cockpit locker and house everything nicely away from the corrosion.

All that to say.......I have a good 2 burner Optimus stove -  but I am trying to hunt down an alcohol stove to take the place of this whole problem. They are hard to find.

Re: propane tank hold

superatom
Hey Glenn and Ryan, I was considering to bring Kelt 8.5's gas locker up to the current Transport Canada requirements, but this is such a big project: I would need to add a new overboard vent, and seal off the cockpit from this locker, and then also add all of the new hardware (solenoid, regulator, etc.)

I am a bit lost trying to plan all of this out, so if you have any pictures or tips of your work/designs, I would be very interested in seeing them.

Cheers from Toronto,
Alex

Re: propane tank hold

Glenn Thomson
https://propanedepot.ca/products/marinepropane/ (see image of set up on website)

Hi. sorry I took so long to reply
This place just outside Vancouver gave me the info for a marine propane set up, that I believe complies with the  standards.

2 stage regulator
gauge to monitor if any loss of fuel while stored
solenoid
all hose fittings are not to be clamped but, a proper gas fitting ( I thought I was going to be able to use some of my existing fuel lines but they were of clamped variety.
any hoses that travel through boat to your galley and pass through bulkheads must be sealed fitting

fortunately I found an alcohol stove that is perfect for my needs
Glenn