outboard motor for Kelt 760

Ed Tait
I bought a Kelt 760 in May of this year. among the many things that have to be restored or replaced is the outboard. It is a Mercury 9.9 2 stroke with an electric starter. Even though I had it completely overhauled in June, when the boat was launched on August 19th the starter failed to respond and the coupling joining the fuel line to the motor leaked like a sieve. With professional help at $103 Can. per hour, we got the fuel line connected directly to the carburetor ant the motor started with the crank.  The next time we used the motor, to move the 760 from the mooring to the club dock, the reverse failed to engage.
   I have located a Honda 9.9 4 stroke which I have read originally came with many Kelts. Can anyone tell me if those original 9.9's were 4 stroke engines ? I don't want to buy this motor and find out it is too big for the well.
   BTW: It is great to have found this website and this forum. Working on this boat this summer has been a lonely process in the dark until now. The info on the spar manufacturer is invaluable because no spreaders
came with the mast and goodness knows what else is missing.
   There is a great deal more to this story and when I have more time I will share it with you. Many Thanks.

Re: outboard motor for Kelt 760

Mark Williamson
Administrator
Hello Ed,  sorry to hear about your motor troubles.  I don't know what outboard originally came with the Kelt 760 but there is some outboard discussion on this old thread:  http://forums.voileabordable.com/read.php?2,1029,page=1

Think I'd read something about wanting exhaust that exits through the prop (and not into the cockpit).  You may know more about this than I do.  My engine well appears to have been glassed over.  Too bad because I'd like to have my motor behind the rudder.

Btw:  I'm posting to the forum.  You might also be getting an email from them.

Best of luck,
Mark

Re: outboard motor for Kelt 760

Ben Hagar
My 1982 7.60 came with a 7.5 hp Honda 4-stroke.

I recently replaced mine with a similar vintage 10hp Honda 4 stroke.  Both had about the same size engine cowling, which fit perfectly in the well, and are long-shaft motors.

Did a quick look online- this link will show pictures of the motor like I have.
http://www.smalloutboards.com/h10.htm

I don't know whether the newer motors will fit or not; measure carefully the distance from transom to the rear of the well, and from transom to underside of the lid, and take those measurements to the motor before you buy it.

Good luck,

Ben

Re: outboard motor for Kelt 760

Ed Tait
Hi Ben and Mark,
    It has been a long time since you answered my question regarding the suitability of a Honda 99.9 4 stroke outboard in the Kelt 760. I went ahead and bought the motor which was year 2000 model that had only been used for 18 hours. It is a tight fit with only a 1/4 of  an inch clearance between the back of the motor casing and the transom. The handles on the tensioning lugs on the mounting bracket will have to be cut down to ensure that they can be loosened enough to allow for a shim that will protect the fibreglass motor mount in the well. In order to get the shaft into the well opening the prop has to be removed. That means installing the motor before the boat is lifted out of the cradle and into the water. The alternative is to put the prop on from  the dinghy while suspending the motor high enough to make the prop shaft reachable and to pray that you don't drop the cotter pin. I actually ran a loop of string through the hole of the pin and put it around my son's neck. I should add that I will have to glue strips of wood or rubber along the little ledges that the well lid sits in to allow clearance for the top of the motor. It is a bit of a nuisance but the motor is a beauty, strong and quiet.

Re: outboard motor for Kelt 760

nigel
morning
we have just bought kelt 680 i think does anyone have any internal photos

Re: outboard motor for Kelt 760

Ryan #506
I have a 1999 Honda 15hp with electric start.  I didn't think I could fit it through the well with the prop on but it turns out I can do it reasonably easy once I got the hang of it.  Much better than having to haul the motor up the ladder to the boat before lift in!  If you can't fit the prop through, I'd just buy a smaller prop.  Doing it in the cold spring and fall water is not really a reasonable long term solution......at least for me!

Re: outboard motor for Kelt 760

edward tait
Hi Ryan,
   The problem is as you suggest. I have a 4 bladed prop which is too large to go through the well opening while mounted on the motor. It will work out OK as long as I line up some help to get the motor in and out of the boat before launch and haul-out. The 9.9 4 stroke is a great motor, powerful and very quiet.

Re: outboard motor for Kelt 760

Ryan #506
Why not look for a 3 bladed prop - that's what I have and I can hit over six knots under power no problem.  It's a tight fit, but it does fit into the well.