Water in bilge

Glenn Thomson
Merci. 7.6 Kelt, had her first voyage to new moorage in Nicomekel River.  After about 10 miles water on the floor appeared that had gathered in bilge over keel bolts.....haven't had time to investigate yet but I pumped up about 2 gallons of sea water after sailing/motor assisted travel of about 40 miles. Seems that the movement and duration was the combination that caused most of the accumulation....this is after a power wash, scrape/sanding and new paint 3 weeks ago.  I am thinking that I disrupted old sealant at edge of hull and keel that exposed a path to leak.
Any experience or wisdom....bring it on!
Glenn

Re: Water in bilge

Mark Williamson
Administrator
Have you got a standard keel or the swing keel?

My keel bolts have a thick coat of something on them.  Don't think anything would leak through in any quantity.

Re: Water in bilge

Glenn Thomson
Not a drop has found its way into bilge since sitting idle at dock.  Ill have to go ahead and expose the most forward bolts that are hidden bellow the mast support pipe and show signs of dark discolouration.  Next. Haul out, and a surveyor to give me direction.  Anyone with experience or similar issue please speak up, this forum needs some life. Thanks for your comment Mark.

Re: Water in bilge

shday
This is a little off topic, but I just "inspected" my keel bolts for the first time. Everything looked fine, but I was surprised how easy they were to remove.

However, according to the linked guidelines, 1/2 inch keel bolts are only supposed to get 19 ft*lbs of torque. This seems super low to me (car rims are typically 80). I was wondering if anyone knew of guidelines from the manufacturer?

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fj109.org%2Fdocs%2Fkeel-bolt-torque-table.pdf

P.S. I have a fixed-keel Kelt 7.6

Re: Water in bilge

Glenn Thomson
Hi shday. I have a standard keel on my 7.6, and had to chip away the wrapping of fibreglass around each bolt/nut.   Did you have the same?  And how did you get at the bolts underneath the gel coated covering that crosses over aft of the table leg? (as in photo) Under that cover I suspect that is where mine is leaking due to discolouration.   Once exposed, I was able to turn the nut with moderate force just with a 3/8 drive ratchet, I was surprised.....

Re: Water in bilge

Glenn Thomson
Sorry -  forward of the table leg

Re: Water in bilge

shday
I didn't have to remove any fiberglass or other material to get at my bolts (at least the ones I see). It doesn't appear they were ever covered.

I'm not certain that all the bolts are exposed (I can access eleven). There is an area about 10 inches wide at the mast support that is covered with a gelcoated structure and there is only one bolt forward of this that I can access. The attached image shows the table leg and some of the gelcoated structure (a removed section of cabin sole is also lodged there; right is forward).

keel bolts

Re: Water in bilge

Glenn Thomson
Maybe prior owner did the chipping for you. It wasn't a big deal.  I wish
I could find someone to say how many bolts there actually are.  I don't really want to cut out below mast pipe. Do you think there are a couple under the gel coat section?  It kind of doesn't make sense not to have access to all the bolts doesn't it?

Re: Water in bilge

Glenn Thomson
What year is your boat.  I don't think I have a ground strap attached like yours.

Re: Water in bilge

shday
Yeah, I'd say it's very unlikely there are bolts hidden. The finished section is only 8 - 10" wide, as I recall. That makes 11 bolts total.

My boat was build in 1982, in Aurora, Ontario.

Re: Water in bilge

Glenn Thomson
Thanks SHDAY, mine is 82 as well,  I reached out to another owner on forum, I will see what he discovers under the floor boards. Or if anyone else has info, please post.

Re: Water in bilge

Ryan
Hi Glenn,

Here is a picture of what my bilge looks like. The bolts seem to have been covered with something then painted. It's pretty sealed up.

Re: Water in bilge

Mark Williamson
Years ago I had an unusual amount of water in the bilge and I discovered that it came from behind a baffle at the stern of the boat.  Rainwater was getting in through an opening and pooling there then running down into the bilge when sailing or motoring in choppy seas.  Maybe not your situation but something to keep in mind for any and all Kelt 7.60 owners.

Here's an article that's full of info which I was unaware of.  It has some torque values you can use when none are available and describes the "resin caps" on the bolts (which appears to be a standard thing).  Also remember that over-torquing can be just as bad as under-torquing.

https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/how-secure-is-your-keel

Re: Water in bilge

Rick Bera
This post was updated on .
 in the summer of 2018 I had the opportunity to move up to a Kelt 7.6 for sale in our marina from a Hunter 23.  The in-water survey went well, with the surveyor mentioning  that the bit of water he found in the bilge came from ice cube meltwater from a nearby cooler. We bought the boat and enjoyed its sailing characteristics. However, every weekend we would find a progressively greater amount of water in the bilge. We would sponge out the water, but I was concerned that there was another leakage point somewhere. I suspected a leaking through-hull sink drain fitting.
   To err on the side of caution, I decided to install an automatic bilge pump.  Now you Kelt owners know that the bilge on a Kelt is more of a shallow pan under the cabin sole, but I eventually found a Whale low-profile pump that just managed to fit under the sole. However, I went mad in trying to find the source of the leak over the summer.
  One Friday we arrived to see water gushing out of the bilge pump through-hull fitting. The cabin sole was virtually afloat and the pump was running almost continuously.  Something was definitely wrong here so had the boat lifted out and placed in its cradle.  Upon inspection, I found a small round hole about 3/16" in diameter  close to the knotmetre through-hull. What the...? Teredo worms? Not in Ontario's Lake Erie, surely! I pushed a long-shank drill up through the hole until it hit an obstruction about 6 inches in, then drilled up further. The drill exited out of the platform that held the battery!  I decided to cut the fibreglass support and remove the battery platform only to find the offending hole along with an actual  screw sticking up through the hull into what had been the battery box.  This screw was literally holding on by a thread as I was able to push it down through the hull with my fingernail, whereupon it left another neat round hole through the hull.  I figure that someone in the boat's distant past - maybe even a worker in the Kelt shop- had tried to install some kind of fitting, but had drilled up into the inaccessible glassed-in battery support box.  This enterprising fellow then simply filled the two holes with screws, slapped a bit of caulking and paint on the screw heads and Bob's your uncle.
   It was my luck that one screw had finally corroded enough that it literally fell through the hull, leaving a neat round hole.  Water then fountained up through this hole, flowed between the hull and hull liner and exited out near the bilge. It is amazing how much water can gush up through a 3/16" hole below the water line.  I decided to enlarge the two holes into an hour-glass shape, filled them with high-strength epoxy compound, followed by several layers of glass cloth and epoxy resin both inside AND outside the hull.
   By this time it was late September so I anxiously awaited lift-in the next Spring.  No leak. The bilge remained dry as a bone all through that summer and the next.  I await a delayed launch this year because of the blasted Covid rules, but hopefully I will again experience a dry bilge.  However, I think to myself how lucky I was to have installed the automatic bilge pump. Otherwise the boat may literally have sunk and I would have been...ahem...totally screwed.

The offending screw(s)
After the fix.