Up the mast

Mark Williamson
Mast mate

I recently bought a "mast mate" mast ascender.  It is made of nylon webbing with staggered foot loops and hauled up the main sail track via the halyard.  I used the jib halyard and a climbing harness as a safety backup.  The 27' mast mate fit the mast on my 7.60 nicely.

After seven trips up the mast I got pretty good at it.  First trip was to assess the situation:  windex destroyed by osprey.  Second trip up I replaced the anchor light with an LED light and attempted to get the old windex off.  Third trip I brought more tools and again fought with the windex, etc.  Finally I was able to replace the windex and add a spike strip to keep the osprey and other birds from sitting there.  I also put some line over the spreaders to keep the birds from sitting on those.

The mast mate felt reasonably secure. The foot loops are a bit uncomfortable but they work well enough.  The only thing I would do differently is to also order their toolbelt.  It's an extra $70 and also has a strap so you can lean back and use both hands.  I had planned on using a loop of line for this but was in a rush to get it done.

http://www.mastmate.com

http://www.downwindmarine.com/Internal-Flat-Slides-Nylon-p-90891442.html - slides for sail track (you will require about 18 for the 7.60 - make sure you buy enough!  I was short a few).  Mast mate provides a clip to clip the slide to the webbed ladder.

MARINE 14-1/2” SAILING WIND INDICATOR VANE FOR BOAT, W/BALLBEARINGS– FIVE OCEANS - from ebay $20 + postage

http://www.downwindmarine.com/Bird-Flite-Narrow-Spike-Strip-p-90892385.html

http://marineledshop.com/navigation-bulb-aquasignal-25-barrel-festoon - you might have a different anchor light.  This LED light was only $20 (free postage).  Haven't really tested it yet but seems adequate.

Here are the lines I put on the spreaders.  They keep the birds off but hum a bit in the breeze.  Should have added more webbing to dampen them.