Recommended Transom Ladder

Ryan
Does anyone have any recommendations for a transom mounted ladder that would fit a Kelt 7.6?
JJJ

Re: Recommended Transom Ladder

JJJ
We found the OEM ladder that was mounted on the transom was too short for getting back into the boat. We purchased a simple longer portable ladder with candy-cane style hooks that hang on the back of the transom (we usually use port side of transom) which gives us two steps in the water. Much easier for us older folk to get out of the water :-)  It's light weight and we store it in the v berth. If I recollect we only paid $60-$70 for the ladder. Works great!

Re: Recommended Transom Ladder

Ryan
Thanks, we have one of those.  We actually used quite a bit this past week and they do work well as a swimming ladder.  However, I like transom mounted ladders better from a safety perspective.  I wasn't aware there was a OEM ladder for the Kelt 7.6.  Like you, I'd prefer a ladder that goes into the water a couple of steps so I'll continue searching for an after market one.

Re: Recommended Transom Ladder

Ryan
Just thought I'd post a follow up on this topic.  I found a company in Barry Ontario that actual did some of the guard rail work for the Kelts build in Aurora.  They manufacture ladders as well.  I called and spoke to John who said he's sold this ladder to other Kelt owners.  I believe marineoutfitters.ca also stocks these ladders.  At $140 the price is pretty reasonable.  I ordered one and hopefully will have it installed this spring.  I'll post pictures once complete.

Re: Recommended Transom Ladder

Glenn Thomson
I'm interested to see what you get, I'm in need of one too.
glenn

Re: Recommended Transom Ladder

Ryan
I received the stainlessoutfitters.com ladder and dry fitted it to the boat and I must say it's the perfect size ladder for the boat.  It pivots up nice and flush to the pushpit and looks like it would work well in either orientation. (i.e. top part of the ladder parallel with the transom and bottom water part curved slightly out or vise versa)  The two posts it comes with are adjustable up and down and come longer than need so you can cut them to preference.  The rungs are just the round stainless steel tube so may not be as comfortable as a ladder with flat steps.  Pretty easy to make steps though.  Now I just need the summer to arrive to test it out!

Re: Recommended Transom Ladder

Glenn Thomson
Nice and simple....thanks for showing it off Ryan.  The 3 step wouldn't have reached eh? Have you given any thought as how to get it down if you find yourself in the water - solo?

And, what was the final cost?

Re: Recommended Transom Ladder

Ryan
I wouldn't recommend the three step because it would have to be lower down the transom and in towards the rudder for it to reach the water.  To get it down from the water I'm either going to attach a clip similar to the cradles you might use for a tiller extension or just use a slip knot.

Re: Recommended Transom Ladder

Glenn Thomson
Ya I was thinking of a clip idea too, maybe with a tether attached, to pull and unfold.
Have you mounted it yet? Pics?
Glenn