Re-Powering

David
Looking to re-power my Kelt 7.6 from an OMC Saildrive to an outboard, possibly 8 hp or 9.9.
Will a short shaft (17 in) work or do I need a long shaft (22 in) ?

Re: Re-Powering

David
To clarify and answer my own post...the OMC Zephyr Saildrive15 hp gas inboard has given up the ghost. Too old a boat & too difficult to source a replacement for the 7.6. There is no motor well on this 7.6 so I have decided to re-power with the 2013 Yamaha T9.9 (High Thrust) 4 stroke Long shaft with Electric start (long tiller option with F-N-R controls) and upgrade the "kicker " O/B bracket to one suitable for a 103 lb 4 stroke.
After we remove the Zephyr, plenty of room for a beer cooler...  :)

Re: Re-Powering

David
To finalize this posting:
The original OMC Saildrive was removed and flange cut off, re-glassed, gelcoted and faired. Reinforced the transom by adding about 5/8 inch of fibreglass mat professionally tied in to hull structure. This was necessary as the motor weight (116 lbs) required a large motor bracket (with 9.5 in throw, but would recommend longer throw (13.5 in.?) for anyone considering it). Most brackets had a range to 120 lbs, so we went with one that had a max weight of 160 lbs.
The bracket will comfortably hold the motor in its operating position in the most extended point. We have not had occasion to use in big waves, so I am not certain whether the lower unit will stay submerged in those conditions.
The 2013 Yamaha T9.9 is a dream to operate and the High Thrust in reverse has added an additional level of confidence in docking/mooring in tight quarters. So far, we have operated the motor at medium speed during break in for about 2 to 2.5 hours and have used no more than 1/5 of 2.5 gallon tank. Crazy economical!
This fall, we will finish the conversion by installing a shelf, hooks, etc for storage where the old engine was.

Re: Re-Powering

David
P.S.
To further clarify, the Yamaha T9.9 with electric start, etc came in at approx 114 lbs....too close to the max for a light bracket so as previously stated, we opted for a heavier one. The bracket has a 9.5 inch throw and I had wondered if the longer 13.5 inch throw might be more suited but we have had no issues to date. The spring on the bracket is heavy duty so I had to push down to lowest setting initially by using my foot (standing outside the life-lines). We keep the bracket in this position and raise it out of the water with the motor's own tilt lever.
A side benefit to this unconventional bracket extension acrobatics was that I was able to see that our reinforcement of the stern eliminated any opportunity for flex in the stern.