Racing a Kelt 7.60 with OB in the well?

Matthew
I am currently looking for a new boat, my short list is the Mirage 25 and the 7.60.  Both boats are right for my cruising needs.  I like the Kelt as it seems a bit more seaworthy.  Though it is not a priority, I want the option to race whatever boat I end up with.  The question is: is it possible to remove and stow the outboard to get the prop out of the water when racing or do folks race with the motor in the well?

Re: Racing a Kelt 7.60 with OB in the well?

Ryan
Yep - no sweat if it's a small motor (just for weight).  Port side locker is huge and will store an outboard no problem.  You can make a plug for the hole to to reduce drag while racing.  Kelt is apparently much less tender than a Mirage 25.

Re: Racing a Kelt 7.60 with OB in the well?

Matthew
Thanks for the info Ryan.  Ideally, I would like to find a boat with diesel inboard, but they seem to be rare.  There are lot of Kelt 7.60 and Mirage 25s on the market and I am not in a rush to buy., I am just going to take my time and wait for the right boat.  Either the Mirage or the Kelt will serve well for what I have in mind for the next few years on the Ottawa River.  Based on the reviews, I think the Kelt may serve some of my future plans to move to Lake Ontario better.

Re: Racing a Kelt 7.60 with OB in the well?

Ryan
I have been told that the mirage is much more tender than the kelt.  I have sailed my Kelt in some pretty stiff winds and I have never found it to be tender. I am on Lake Ontario in Hamilton.  It just digs in and goes.  I have never seen an inboard diesel kelt in Canada.  They seem to be common in Europe but not here.  I doubt that you will find one.  If you really want to race, you will get less drag by taking the small outboard right off vs. dragging a prop around.  I think the handicap is based on dragging the outboard in the well so you may have an advantage there.  Don't quote me on this though.  Have you looked at the Tanzer 25 (not the 7.5) - it is one hot looking boat that you should look at in the same size range.  If you like kelts and Mirages you will like the look of it.

If you ever find yourself in the West End of Lake Ontario send me an email at ryan@physioinmotion.ca and I can take you out for a sail on my Kelt if you haven't been out on one.  Ryan