Outboard engine for a Kelt 7.6

Tom

Outboard engine for a Kelt 7.6

Tom
I have read existing observations/thoughts on engine size in the Forum for my 7.6.
What 9.9 hp outboard engine, equipped with an alternator, will fit into the well of a 7.6? Long shaft or short?  Failing that, is there an 8.0 engine(with an alternator) that would work?
Thanks,
Tom

Re: Outboard engine for a Kelt 7.6

David
Check out the specs on the Yamaha 9.9 as the newest models (I'm told) are more compact than previous, so may fit in a well. I have the newer model with alternator and it works great, but my 7.6 was not equipped with a well so cannot personally confirm the fit.

Re: Outboard engine for a Kelt 7.6

Chris
I just replaced my older Honda B100 with a new 2014 Yamaha 9.9 long shaft, 4 stroke. This fits into the existing well without problems. If you get the high thrust version, I am told you need to remove the prop in order to get the motor in , then reinstall the prop while in the water.

Cheers
Tom

Re: Outboard engine for a Kelt 7.6

Tom
Thanks for your input.

Re: Outboard engine for a Kelt 7.6

David - Moon Chaser
Hi Tom! - See Dec 2, 2012, for my contributions to this.  I see Chris also responded with more recent info and his is correct (a friend of mine on Lake Ontario).

IOW:  My 2012 9.9 High Thrust (HT) cowling fits fine, but the prop does need to be removed.  Furthermore, I saw this past year that Yamaha has further reduced their engine block and cowling size.

I wish I could test an HT and regular Yamaha 9.9side-by side in the water on a Kelt 7.60 to see if the prop issue is worth it.  I love the responsiveness of my motor.  I also top off at about 5.5 - 6 kts at about 1/3 throttle.  Full throttle will give me maybe another 0.5 kt.  I wonder if the non-HT would offer a little more top end speed.

But the reserve power of my motor is phenomenal.  It has taken me through weeds thick enough to walk on; 25kt head-on winds with 1.5 meter waves, muck in low water, etc.

High Thrust, or not, I wouldn't entertain another motor than the Yamaha 9.9.  it fits and many would espouse to it possibly being heads and shoulders above any other manufacturer.

Good sailing (and winter musing) - David