Newbe with 2 questions 1) motor 2) size

Gene148
Is there any benefit to mount the outboard on the back instead of in the well ? And what are the negatives.
Also I want to know if it would make sense put a 15 - 20 hp on the klet 7.6 or it would just be a waist of money.
One other question does any body have schematic on the cabin table.
Thank you
Gene

Re: Newbe with 2 questions 1) motor 2) size

Mark Williamson
Administrator
Hello Gene,

One negative to mounting on the stern is that the propwash is not running over the rudder.  If the motor is fixed, with it's handle removed, then you can't turn until the boat is moving.  This can be a bit of a pain getting in and out of slips.  It takes some getting used to.  If the motor is not fixed and has the control handle then you'll need to lean over the stern to manipulate it.

You won't go any faster with a bigger motor if that's what you're hoping for.  The added hp might be useful for countering currents, heavy seas, winds, etc.

Regards,
Mark

Re: Newbe with 2 questions 1) motor 2) size

Gene148
Thank you very much for the info,  would you say that a 9.9 hp motor would do for the kelt 7.6 ?  And by chance would you know were I can get the blue prints for a table in the cabin.  I would like to try to make one.
thank you
Gene

Re: Newbe with 2 questions 1) motor 2) size

Mark Williamson
Administrator
I'm running a Yamaha 4-stroke 8hp long-shaft.  Not sure if the prop is pitched special for sailboats.

I don't know of any drawings for the table.