Motors (Sizes) & Crawling

David - Moon Chaser
Greetings Kelt Comrades! - I've missed our group discussions for some reason but wanted to respond to a recent (Spring) discussion that stemmed from the "Abandoned Kelt" (Great story BTW! - Thanks!  In fact I just shared the "Benefact" info with a friend that had a blackwater leak with residual odour.)  1st item is a question:

NEW MOTOR SIZE (9.9 VS 8):  [My motor is mounted in the motor well of my Kelt 7.60]  I am getting tired of the 1995 Suzuki 8hp 2-stroke that came with my boat when I purchased her in Nov-09.  The motor's noise and fumes are noxious, while it also feels underpowered. (I also just discovered while measuring for fitting a replacement motor, that it is a short shaft, only adding to the problems).  I learned from another user's group via Yahoo that both the late model Honda 9.9 and Yamaha 9.9 do not fit properly, the Honda requiring notable structural modifications.  I also learned that the Yamaha 8hp fits and runs the boat well.  (I also found a detailed dimensional drawing of the Yam-8 on the web which verifies fit.)  Additionally, I found a Merc 9.9 Bigfoot (Bigfoot = higher gear ratio for sailboats, pontoon boats & trolling) on Kijiji yesterday.  The seller measured the distance between the rear inside of the mounting bracket/slot to the rear of the cowling at approx 18".  I measured we only have approx 17.5" to the inside of the transom.  So I think the Merc 9.9 Bigfoot won't fit either.  The Abandoned Kelt story made mention of picking up a newer 9.9 and it made me wonder further how that worked.

At this point I am very pleased by the reports on the Yamaha High Thrust 8 (4 stroke) and just about to further explore splurging on one.  The high-thrust is based on a higher gear ratio, allowing a larger prop at lower RPM, reportedly giving the bite and torque beneficial to lugging/manoeuvring our heavy fixed keel boats through the harbour.  (Though I have to say coming into dock at idle speed, between 7.5 to 5 kts has been quite decent with my Kelt.)

Does anyone else have any relevant experience on fitting newer motors into the Kelt 7.60's motor well?

CRAWLING:  On a totally different subject - The "Abandoned Kelt" discussion string also brought up the precariousness of single handing and sail management in higher seas.  I too single hand quite a bit, and at this point do not have a foresail furler.  (Hmmm, which 1st, a new motor or a furler? [smile])  I have been reluctantly willing to risk under-canvassing the foresail when going out into winds forecasted to increase in order to avoid changing sails out there in desperation (while also pre-preparing the main to be reefed if needed.  Plus the mainsail lazy jack makes a world of difference when dropping the main).

Nonetheless, the best laid plans, I have had to go up front more than expected in heavier seas, not to mention having to go up to pull the foresail down when dousing in higher winds (which I dread).  What I do is tether myself (using my inflatable/harness PFD), but do so to the cabin top railings (using a large heavy-duty carbineer to fit the rail's diameter) as I don't have jack lines installed, nor do I like the idea of going over and hanging from the tether/jackline, imagining I would not be able to pull myself back up over the freeboard and lifelines.  I also crawl (up the windward side), keeping as low a centre of gravity (CG) as possible, still holding onto secure items with one hand, only standing as high as necessary to reach up to pull the sail down with one hand while holding fast to the forestay with the other.  That being said and being a bit of a perfectionist, I believe I should also (though don't) have a hand-held VHF radio with GPS, in the event I do go over and end up in the drink, with my auto-tiller doing its job maintaining course as the boat moves along without me.  I also try to avoid conditions beyond my relatively limited capacity as a sailor.  Still there are many times in calmer conditions that I have not been tethered (as I probably should), but still crawling or keeping a low CG, holding, taking time to carefully make positional transitions, etc. etc.  As I've shared with new crew/passengers - "There's no shame in crawling - I do it frequently." :>)  I know it doesn't look elegant or swashbucklery, but I'd rather keep sailing.

Some equipment/mods I believe would increase my safety while single-handing or having limited/less-experienced passenger/crew:
 - Hand-held VHF with GPS (on me)
 - New on-board DSC VHF with MMSI number programmed and GPS attached (already have).  I think this makes it easier for inexperienced passengers/crew to call out using the dedicated distress call button if I am incapacitated (and I instruct them on its use before going out).
 - Foresail Furler
 - Or a simple Jib Downhaul
 - Or a Gerr Downhaul system that can be found at:
     * http://www.thevirtualboatyard.com/2009/06/captn-pauleys-sketchbook-the-gerr-downhaul.html
     * http://forums.macgregor.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=126436
     * I can also upload some PDFs of a detailed system that I cannot currently open the URL for
 - Genoa In-Cockpit Car Adjusters (I just ordered a set):
     * Pics at:   http://www.catalina470.org/html/adj__lead_cars.html
     * Order at:  http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=37
  - A Topping Lift accessed at the rear of the boom vs. at the mast (I have unimplemented ideas about this)

Anybody else have items/ideas?

Take care everyone! - David Wysocki, "Moon Chaser", Frenchman's Bay, Pickering, Ontario

Re: Motors (Sizes) & Crawling

Mark Williamson
Administrator
Good info David.  You can't really overemphasize the usefulness of a furling jib.  Great for single-handing, easy to deploy in a pinch, easy to furl.  Sometimes, for convenience, i deploy the jib and sail on it alone.

I've never single-handed in anything but light seas and breezes so have never had to clip in but it's something to think about.  Someone disappeared recently near here.  It's presumed he fell off his sailboat (in calm seas) and drowned.

My motor well has been glassed over.  Wish i had one so that the prop was behind the rudder.  If i had the time (a whole lot of it) i'd consider opening it up or even installing a small diesel.

Re: Motors (Sizes) & Crawling

Gord
 Hello David
 I have also been looking at replacing my older Yamaha 9.9.  I've been looking at the new Yamaha t9.9 High Thrust with a 25" shaft. I took some measurements at the local Yamaha dealer and found this could be the awnser,with it being 17.5" from face of bracket to back of engine cover. The Yamaha engines have reduced there overall size in the last few years without comprising Hp.
 Play safe.
Gord.  Penetanguishene(Georgian Bay)

Re: Motors (Sizes)

David - Moon Chaser
Greetings Gord!! Thanks for the feedback!  Before I offer some details of my experience, I spec-ed the 20" shaft (vs. the 25" "extra long" shaft) per the original boat maker's design intent and recommendations for a 20" "long-shaft".  I'd be interested in other's thoughts on going 25" vs. 20".  But the 20" seems to do very well with no compromise that I am aware of, and then I would think there is somewhat less drag in the water when sailing with the 20" shaft.  Let me know what you think though.  Anyway:

After weeks, days and hours (and hours, and hours . . .) of research I did purchace a new 2011 Yamaha High Thrust T9.9 motor.  I am very pleased with it's performance, virtually no fumes, and notably quieter running (not to mention awesome responsiveness).  I've had it for a little over a month now.  It was intertesting to experience the new level or sense of completeness to my Kelt 7.60.  I was actually surprised as to the feeling of increased confidence with my boat's "seaworthiness" (or maybe cruise-worthiness) that the new motor facilitated. I am a bit behind on posting some pics and details to the couple Kelt online discussion groups but will do so soon.  Briefly (as if that is possible for me) ;>) :
 - The T9.9 is new for 2011 using the T8's block and frame, boring it out for a bit more bore displacement and bumping up carburator performance = 9.9 HP.  So it is essentially the footprint of the T8.
 - The cowling fits in the space with room to spare and I can still turn the motor about 20-30 degrees for sharper turning combined with the boat's rudder if desired (I'll measure this exactly and advise).
 - The large prop will not fit through the hole.  I actually removed it to mount the motor, and reassembled it onto the motor in the water (which was, with care, much easier than one would imagine)
 - The motor's tiller handle is a bit long for the Kelt's smaller cockpit, but access to it and the integrated gearshift lever, especially when docking, is great.  It will also fold back under the cover/seat when not in use. (I was originally concerned that it was too long and would hit the transom before getting below the cover/seat height).
 - I had to remove the plywood mounting board screwed onto the aft side of the boat's mounting "block" (I've read and heard others doing this for their various motor fits and viacariously confirmed from an original Kelt maker, that this is not a problem or compromize to anything.)  This is actually done for dropping the motor on, as once it is on there is plenty of space, but other parts rub against the boat when passing the motor through, thus requiring the board removal).
 - There was a minor challenge in "dropping" the motor on:  The front-to-back distance created by the AV Plate and the fin above it is a hair longer than the space available.  It caused the motor to hang up a bit with the back of the AV-plate against the back edge of the hull hole while the "upper fin" area rubbed on the back side of the boat's motor mount (the original location of the plywood mount board).  We were able to force it through by pushing down and using the motor's weight while we wiggled the motor back and forth.  But I'm talking about maybe an 1/8" max issue here, where I think you could either shave a little off the back edge of the hull hole or off the back edge of the motor's AV-plate.
 -  I struck up dialogue with another Kelt 7.60 owner from another discussion group during our mutual quest to replace our old motors.  He is in British Columbia so wants to be able to lift the motor out more frequently due to ocean water growth.  We spoke over the weekend as he was about to purchase the regular (not High Thrust) Yam 9.9, and based on his measurements, expected the prop to fit through fine.  His prospective motor also does not have electric start and generator, so is lighter for his purposes (The T 9.9 comes standard with these).  He is to drop me a line on his success.  I have no way of comparing performance differences b/t the High Thrust and regular gear ratioed motor, but as much as I am very very pleased with the immediate and strong directional response at marina/docking speeds of my motor, I would still imagine the regular Yamaha 9.9 would still perform very well on our boats.  FYI:  My boat reaches hull speed (~6.5-7kt) with the T9.9 motor at less than half throttle (in mild conditions) - Nice!

BTW:  I was very pleased with working with a dealer in Wisconsin, for a great price, knowledge, responsiveness, etc.  They ship anyware in the US (I went to pick mine up in Buffalo at the shipper's depot and paid the Ontario/Canadian taxes at the border).  If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to share their contact info and website.

Re: Motors (Sizes) & Crawling

joel
Hi David-  3 things I would always put on a boat for safety and convenience are Lazy jacks, furling-nothing over 135- and a hard vang,( boomkicker or similar for a Kelt) The latter eliminates the topping lift while sailing and allows better and safer control when led back to cockpit.