Kelt 7.60

Will Lee
While looking at boats on Lake Lanier, Georgia (US) I noticed a boat across the dock with very nice lines available through the broker I'm working with.  It turned out to be Kelt 7.60and it seems to be in fairly good shape.  The price is reasonable.  I'm looking for a boat for some weekend cruising and club racing our lake which is fairly large.
While I have many questions, I will limit them:

1.  Are these boats still being manufactured?  I assume no.
2.  Are parts available, if needed?
3.  Because these were manufactured first in France and then in Canada, are there any compatibility issues with systems, parts, nuts, bolts, etc?
4.  Are there any know issues with the 7.60 I need to be aware of?
5.  If I get serious on the boat, what areas do I need to pay particular attention to?

Thank you very much.  My email address is wlee@mindspring.com

Re: Kelt 7.60

Mark Williamson
Administrator
I don't know that we have an expert Kelt knowledge here so I'll try to answer your questions.

1. no
2. possibly (mast parts appear to be available through Isomat - see Links page).
3. no
4. none.  there are many things about the Kelt which make it superior to most other older boats - like the synthetic core in the deck (no soft spots ever) and the steel rub rail (strong).
5. if it's a swing keel check the keel box for corrosion

You might want to pick up "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" by Don Casey.  This is a great book.

or better yet "Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual: Including Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair,..."

Hope that helps,
Mark

Re: Kelt 7.60

Will Lee
Thank you for responding quickly.  The more I read about the boat, the more interested I am.  I've owned a Catalina 22 for years and was really looking at a Catalina 27 or maybe a Hunter of the same length.  If you are familiar with either, how do they stand up beside the Kelt 7.60.
Also I've seen references to a Kelt 7.60 and a Kelt 760.  Are these two different boats.

Re: Kelt 7.60

Mark Williamson
Administrator
I can't really speak to the differences between Catalinas, Hunters and Kelts.  The 760 and 7.60 are the same boat as far as I know.  7.6 meters.