Forward deck hatch clean and replacement of glass

Forward deck hatch clean and replacement of glass

markobar
This post was updated on .
Morning everyone. So my deck hatch was old and covered in cracks. Time to replace it. So far I’ve removed the hatch cover. Removed the old glass and got a new 1/2” piece of cast Acrylic in clear- got it from a buddy at the marina for 20$- and will tint it later. The hatch looks to be an Atkins Hoyle from what I’m being told, the offshore cast XR 100. Dimensions inside are 17 1/4” x 12 1/4”. Cast from what I’ve read and was told is stronger and will last longer in the sun. This is also why I will be tinting it with a ceramic tint to keep UVB down and heat out of the boat. 75$ CAD is what I’ve been quoted to do that tint job. Eventually I’ll do the starboard and port portholes as well

Cleaned:
I removed as much as I could manually and took it to a friend with a sandblaster using special media to not ruin the metal it was cleaned and sanded to have 100% surface cleanliness for superior bonding of adhesive

Not sure if I’ll be using the same style vent for this or maybe a smaller new style Lewmar. Passive vs solar and the lot.

I’ll be cutting and fitting it to the frame in the coming week and replacing the old seal as well.