Flushing outboard while in engine well

Matt Lorenzi
This post was updated on .
Hi all,

New to this forum. I am in talks with a Kelt 7.6 owner on the west coast of Canada. Looking to purchase my first sailboat in the 24 to 25ft range and this model would seem to tick off a lot of my boxes. There's a lot of information on the internet, this great forum, and some really cool videos on Youtube.

The only doubts/concerns I have with this boat is the engine well. It's a departure from what you see on most boats this size in our local waters. Either engine in transom mounted, or inboard diesel. I don't have a problem with an outboard for now. This is my first boat and I hope to do more day-sailing and maybe an overnight somewhere.

Regarding the engine well. The current owner takes the engine out at the end of season and has it serviced - makes good sense. What about after daily usage though. Can one flush out the outboard when inside the well? Or do you fully have to remove the engine? Can one lift the engine up to at least clear the outflow when doing an engine flush?

I'm less fussed about having the engine in the water while under sail. There must have been some reason the designers went with an engine well for the outboard.

Thanks everyone!

Re: Flushing outboard while in engine well

Mark Williamson
Administrator
Hello Matt,

An outboard in this configuration makes it easier to steer the boat while under power because its thrust is directed past the rudder.  With a fixed outboard on the transom the boat has to be moving at some minimum speed to maneuver.

I don't have a well but my outboard does have a hose attachment for flushing.  Without that I don't think it would be possible to flush while in the water.  It may require more maintenance, especially in salt water, but that's the tradeoff.  It will need good zincs and antifouling paint in saltwater.

One thing to note is that 2 stroke engines are lighter and easier to remove.

Best of luck.  The Kelt 7.60 is a great boat.  I've had mine for 11 years.

Mark

Re: Flushing outboard while in engine well

Matt Lorenzi
Where do you have your outboard? Is yours the model with the original inboard with the swing keel?

I could always do what some other Kelt owners have done: hoist the engine out of the water and have it sit on beams straddling the cockpit seats. I will ask the current owner if it's ever been an issue. Also I'm looking at a slip at the mouth of our mighty Fraser River - a little less salinity I would expect.

Here's the listing for those interested: https://victoria.craigslist.org/boa/d/parksville-sailboat/7048114681.html

Re: Flushing outboard while in engine well

Mark Williamson
Administrator
My outboard is mounted on the transom - fixed, i.e. not steerable.  I have the swing keel.

Being in lower salinity water is a plus.

That looks like a nice boat.  If it's got the swing keel be sure to inspect around the cable tube which is located under the table.  Check for signs of corrosion since this tube is full of water.

Sure must be a beautiful place to sail.

Re: Flushing outboard while in engine well

Matt Lorenzi
From what I have read the swing keep may have had the inboard and no well, and the full keel had the well. I guess that might make sense from a trailering perspective. I will check with the seller though. I think most found around here are full keel.