Bimini for Kelt 7.60

Mark Williamson
Administrator
If anyone has successfully mated a bimini to a Kelt 7.60 I wouldn't mind seeing photos or hearing details.  Otherwise I will most likely be providing photos from my own attempt in the near future.

Re: Bimini for Kelt 7.60

Mark Williamson
Administrator
I picked up a bimini from ebay for $130.  54" Summerset Bimini Boat Top 3 Bow 79-84" W Blue.  It's "used" but appears to have been a returned item - completely unused.  Very nice quality.  It's 7/8" aluminum with nylon fittings so not the strongest thing in the world but you can't beat the price.  I'll have to cut and sew the fabric.  Total length will be 4' with a slit for the backstay.  The 79" minimum width may be a bit on the wide side but it should work okay.

Re: Bimini for Kelt 7.60

Mark Williamson
Removed 2' of length from the top with cutout for the backstay and velcroed flap.  I ordered velcro, edging and double sided sail tape from Sailrite (www.sailrite.com).  The double sided tape was too gummy to sew through with my household sewing machine but it was useful for attaching the velcro before sewing.  I used a standard polyester thread but I've read that it's recommended to use a polyester thread with UV protection.  Here's a parts list:

103405 5 Velcro Nylon Black Hook 1 1/2"   $0.50 $2.50
103407 5 Velcro Nylon Black Loop 1 1/2"   $0.50 $2.50
503913 6 Sunbrella Centerfold Binding Navy 7/8" $0.30 $1.80
20307 1 Seamstick 1/2" Basting Tape (50 Yds)   $7.95 $7.95

Re: Bimini for Kelt 7.60

Mark Williamson
Administrator
Fitting the bimini.  It's pretty small.  Probably could have gone forward a few more inches and overhung the back by a foot or so.  But should do fine as is.  I need to pick up some "angled" deck fittings (hinges) to replace the straight ones that came with the bimini.